BLE Shield stands for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Shield. It is designed to work with Arduino boards or compatibles, including Arduino Uno, Mega 2560, Leonardo and Due. It allows you to connect your Arduino boards with other BLE Central device like a smartphone or tablet. So you can develop some applications like:
• Control your Arduino pins with our/your own mobile App
• Send sensor data from your Arduino to an App for processing
• Use your mobile device as an internet gateway for your Arduino
• and much more!
BLE shield could operate under 3.3V or 5V, therefore it works with a lot of Arduino compatible boards too.
New Features in BLE Shield Version 2.1
1. Reset button is changed to "side button"
2. nRF8001 SPI pins can be set to either Pins 11-13 on the side or ICSP, this allows other Arduino compatible boards with no ICSP header such as FRDM-KL05 board, RedBoard and so on to interface with the nRF8001 BLE chip
3. Flexible REQN and RDYN pins selectable from pin 2 to 10
4. The board is shorter than before and this allows it to fit on Arduino Yun physically
Features Since v2.0
1. Besides the on-board PCB antenna, option to use SMA connector for external antenna (soldering is required)
2. Flexible REQN and RDYN pins selectable from pin 2 to 12, these pins are fixed at 8 & 9 for BLE Shield v1
3. Reset button also resets the Arduino board, and vice versa
4. ICSP header provides Vcc (for other shields to get power source)
5. ICSP header now passes through (for other shields to connect to the SPI)
6. Shield's reset is controllable by Arduino pin 4 or 7
7. Reset signal to the shield is now active low (i.e. pull low to reset the shield)
8. Added test points for power consumption measurement of the nRF8001 chip (soldering is required)
9. Added circuitry and test pin (J9 NC) for measurement of instant working current (using logic analyzer, 1mA = 100mV).
Supported BLE Central Devices
• iPhone 4s
• iPhone 5 (all models)
• iPod touch 5
• iPad 3/4/mini/Air
Android 4.3 or above (4.4 recommended for stability) with Bluetooth 4.0 hardware support
• Nexus 4
• Nexus 7
• Samsung Note 3 / GT-I9300 / GT-I9500